Reasons for Choosing a College Major: Practical, Educational, and Fun

Dear children,

I want to offer a few thoughts on choosing college majors with hopes of guiding you, whether far along in your path or just getting started. I will base my discussion on some articles from Forbes and from my own experience (because that is what I know best).

There are many reasons to choose a college major, including practical, educational, and fun. First, practical. College should help you get a job to provide for yourself and your future family. Be aware that some majors pay much better and have higher employment rates: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/lmj45jgfi/the-college-majors-that-are-worth-it/. Some majors pay less and have low employment rates: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/lmj45ldff/the-least-valuable-college-majors/. Note that the English literature major is listed as number 10 in the least valuable majors, based on the overall financial return. I agree with the statistics. I chose an impractical major, but I’m grateful that I completed a graduate degree because that helped me get a job despite my impractical degree. Over two hundred “word nerds” applied for the low-paying editorial assistant job I wanted, but I was fortunate to get it (in part due to my graduate degree). Other doors opened because of hard work and a graduate degree. I now make decent money (but not as much as if I’d chosen computer science, engineering, or finance, etc.).

Second, educational. All majors have good in them. All require discipline. My major taught me the valuable skills of researching, analyzing, and communicating well verbally. These skills have blessed my life, my career, our family, and our community. Some skills matter more than just a paycheck. But it’s even better to have both!

Third, fun. It’s OK to have fun in school. In my case, I set aside making tons of money because I enjoyed reading great books and exploring my feelings. I wanted to make a career from an artsy major, and I succeeded. Just remember to get a career while you’re having fun.

I hope these ideas help you and that you will find success in life, which is much more important than career success. But again, it’s even better to have both! 

Good luck to you.

Love,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Push-ups

Philo Dibble, Faithful Friend of the Prophet

Christian Hans Monson: Norwegian Mormon Convert, Handcart Pioneer, Temple Builder